Elliott Herbert Walcott
Service number 39340

After first arriving in France in mid-October 1918, Elliott Walcott spent the last weeks of the war with influenza, joining his unit in the field just one week before the Armistice.

A farmer from Warwick, Elliott gave his address as care of Mrs Geissmann, Tamborine Mountain, when he enlisted on March 1, 1917, aged 19 years and 9 months. He had needed only the permission of his father, Herbert Walcott, to join up, as his mother had already passed away.

A Driver with the Field Artillery Brigade reinforcements, Elliott finally left Sydney on the SS Port Darwin on April 30, 1918.

He arrived in Suez on June 7, where he remained until July 3 when he embarked for England.

After arriving in Southampton on July 16, Elliott spent three months training in England before heading to France. He marched out to the 1st Division Artillery from Rouelles on October 24 and joined his unit in the field on October 28. The following day he was admitted to hospital with influenza.

Elliott rejoined the 1st Field Artillery Brigade on November 4, but a week later the guns fell silent for the last time with the Armistice of November 11.

The next entry in Elliott’s service record shows he took leave to England at the end of March 1919 but returned to France on April 18.

He remained in France until May 5, arriving the next day in England, where he spent the next two months waiting to return home.

Elliott boarded the Prinz Ludwig, one of the many ships surrendered to Britain as part of Germany’s war reparations, on July 9, and arrived in Sydney on September 8. He was discharged from the Army in Brisbane on October 2.

“Joined his unit in the field just one week before the Armistice.”


The Canungra Answered The Call Centenary Of ANZAC Project welcomes your feedback. If you would like to share your memories of any of the soldiers featured on this website, or provide additional information or comment, please contact the project team by clicking the contact button to the right.